Spotify is the most popular music streaming platform and it is a great service to use with your smart speaker. If you have a smart speaker with Alexa (Amazon Echo), Google Assistant (Google Home) or Cortana (Harman Kardon Invoke), you can enable Spotify and use it as your default music streaming service. In this guide, we will talk about “how to enable Spotify on your smart speaker” and will tell you how to use Spotify effectively with voice commands. Let’s get to the work.
Enabling Spotify on Smart Speakers
In order to use Spotify with your smart speaker, you need to enable it first. You also need to link your Spotify account using the smart speaker app. Here are the detailed instructions for enabling Spotify on Alexa, Google Assistant and Cortana.
Enabling Spotify on Alexa (Echo)
If you have one of the smart speakers with Amazon’s Alexa (Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Plus, Echo Spot or Echo Show), you need to follow these steps:
- Download the Amazon Alexa app from Google Play or App Store or Fire OS
- Set up your Echo device. (More info)
- Open the Amazon Alexa app and go to the Settings section
- Go to the Music & Media section
- Find Spotify from the list and tap on “Link account on Spotify.com.” If you can’t see the Spotify on this list, make sure the address in your Amazon profile is in US.
- The app will open the Spotify web page. Log in to your Spotify account and accept the terms. (You must have a Spotify premium account to use Spotify with Alexa.)
- It will say “Your Spotify account has been linked successfully.” That’s it. Now you can use Spotify with your Echo device.
- If you want to set Spotify as your default music service, scroll to the bottom of Music & Media screen and tap on “Choose Default Music Services” and select Spotify as default music library.
Enabling Spotify on Google Assistant
If you have a smart speaker with Google Assistant, you need to follow these steps:
- Download the Google Home app from Google Play or App Store.
- Set up your Google Home device. (More info)
- Open the Google Home app and tap the menu in the top-left corner.
- Tap Account Preferences.
- Tap Media Accounts.
- Under Music & Audio, you will see the Spotify “UNLINKED” text. Tap the plus (+) sign.
- Tap LINK ACCOUNT to link your Spotify account.
- Log in to your Spotify account and accept the terms and you will see the Spotify “Active” text under Music & Audio.
- If you want to set Spotify as your default music service, go to the Music section from the menu in the top-left corner and select Spotify.
- That’s it. You can use Spotify with your Google Home device.
Enabling Spotify on Cortana
- Download the Cortana app from Google Play or App Store.
- Set up your Cortana device. (More info)
- Open the Cortana app and go to the Music section.
- Find Spotify from the list and tap on Connect.
- You will be directed to Spotify log in page. Log in to your account and tap OKAY to accept the terms.
- That’s it. You can use Spotify with your Cortana device.
Spotify Voice Commands for Smart Speakers
You can use Spotify Connect to stream your Spotify library to your smart speaker. But as you already know, it is best to use our voice to control smart speakers. You can use various voice commands to listen to music on Spotify. These voice commands let you play a particular song, album, artist, playlist, genre and many more. Below, you can find a big list of voice commands to control Spotify on your smart speaker. Use these voice commands to listen and control the music with Spotify on Alexa, Google Home and Cortana devices.
Basic Voice Commands for Spotify
- Play some music.
- Play the [song].
- Play the [song] by [artist].
- Play [album].
- Play songs by [artist].
- Play [playlistname].
- Play my [playlistname].
- Play some [genre] music.
- Volume up / Volume down.
- Set volume level to [number].
- Play / Pause / Resume / Stop.
- Next song / Previous song.
- Shuffle / Stop shuffle.
- Set a sleep timer for [x] minutes/hours.
- Cancel sleep timer.
- Spotify connect.
Advanced Voice Commands for Spotify
- What is this? / Who is this? / What is this song?
- I like this song. / I dislike this song.
- Save this song. / Unsave this song.
- Play more like this song.
- Play Discover Weekly.
- Play the top songs in [country].
- Play songs similar to [song].
- Play songs by [artist] and shuffle.
- Play [playlistname] and shuffle.
- Play my songs.
- Skip forward [x] seconds.
If you know other voice commands to use with Spotify, please leave a comment below.